12.15.2006

Lighting (Part III) - Hair P3/Q1: Diary Entry

The final segment of the lighting unit was a project on hair. I tried to use one of the photos from the fashion unit (the one of Gillian, shown below) because I liked the reflection on her hair and also her pose was very fitting for her personality. Unfortunately, most of the picture was too dark and underexposed, so it ended up being a losing battle. I also tried, unsuccessfully to do a print of my friend Anthony, as he has long surfer hair. This time, the light source was behind him and the front of his face was mainly a shadow, with no definition. It was just fuzzy, which was sad.



However, somewhere in there, I was able to make three prints that I am decently happy with. First I took the image of Ryan (for the angle shot) which took some manipulating in the darkroom, as the print didn't seem to lend itself towards anything other than a light greyness no matter what I did. Next I did a print with Claudio and Alan (for the two subject shot) that I was really excited about because I think it shows the pair's personality well. It took some working with though, since the image was very dark, and in order to make their hair as dark as it really is, sometimes detail was lost in other places. Lastly, I tried to make the print of Anthony work, and after trying for a few classes, I gave up and did a print of Katrine (for the closeup) that worked on the first try with the same settings as the previous ones. This one probably turned out the best of the three because the texture of the hair was nice and there is a lot of detail as far as shading and shine. This project was fun to make prints of since it is of friends, so it is fun to try to get their personalities on paper.

No comments: